The best results are achieved mostly as a result of persistent work which - due to their frequency and total intensity - may cause excessive mechanical stress on the articular cartilage and tendons, which may change physical and chemical properties of the matrix, thus disrupting the distribution of growth factors and anti-inflammatory substances and accelerating degradation of these tissues. For this reason, the main focus should be on providing proper nutrition (supported by advanced supplementation) to prevent damage to the motor system, especially articular cartilage, tendons and muscles, as well as rapid regeneration after dysfunctions, if any, which may prevent a competitor for a long time from participating in regular workouts and have a powerful impact on his/her career.
Undoubtedly, all of these requirements are satisfied by COLLAREGEN™ with Endurance Sport™ / Olimp Sport Nutrition®:
- Synergism of the ingredients is its greatest advantage. The use of each active substance present in the product is supported by conclusive scientific data.
- Collagen in quantities demonstrated in clinical studies. The clinical study results (1,2) show that the daily intake of 10 g of pharmaceutical-grade collagen hydrolysate reduces pain in patients with hip or knee osteoporosis. Additional supplementation of collagen hydrolysate appears to inhibit the degradation of articular cartilage. Authors of the study have thus demonstrated the inhibitory effects of this ingredient on the development of dysfunctions of the motor system. Another highly extensive clinical study (3) with active sportsmen showed that the intake of 10 g of high-grade collagen hydrolysate for 24 weeks helps to improve the condition of joints. It was observed that pain experienced by sportsmen practising endurance sports was significantly reduced.
Fig. 1. Subjective changes in the level of experienced pain in patients with knee joint dysfunctions
Adapted from: Clark KL, et al. 24-Week study on the use of collagen hydrolysate as a dietary supplement in athletes with activity-related joint pain. Curr Med Res Opin. 2008 May;24(5):1485-96.
Fig. 2. L-proline level in daily intake of Collaregen™ compared to the most frequent dose in supplements designed to support the functioning of joints.
- Manganese in the form of highly absorbable amino acid chelate Albion®. Research studies (4) have shown that the highest concentration of this element is present in the articular cartilage which may suggest its significant contribution to the proper structure and functioning of this tissue. The most recent results of independent studies (5) show that manganese increases adherence of mesenchymal cells, thus promoting synthesis of articular cartilage matrix at the early stage of its formation.
- Copper in the form of highly absorbable amino acid chelate Albion®. Advanced research experiments on cultures of human chondrocytes (6) show that copper is a positive regulator of the processes related to the formation of collagen in cartilage cells.
- PureWay-C® - vitamin C microcapsuled with plant waxes to increase its bioavailability. Similarly to the above ingredients, research studies have demonstrated (7) the special role of ascorbic acid in preventing morphological and biochemical degeneration of cartilage cells due to excessive mechanical stress. Accordingly, a proper level of vitamin C appears to promote functional performance of the cartilage tissue.
Fig. 3. Vitamin C serum level.
- All of the discussed ingredients is necessary for maintaining proper functions of the articular cartilage and their dietary shortage is a limiting factor to biochemical balance of the cartilage. As a result it is reasonable to supplement all of these ingredients at the same time to take advantage of their synergistic effects. This is of substantial importance for people who expose their motor system to excessive mechanical stress on a regular basis, such as those practising sports, especially endurance sports, both professionally and recreationally.
1. Moskowitz RW. Role of collagen hydrolysate in bone and joint disease. Semin Arthritis Rheum. 2000 Oct;30(2):87-99.
2. Benito-Ruiz P, Camacho-Zambrano MM, Carrillo-Arcentales JN, Mestanza-Peralta MA, Vallejo-Flores CA, Vargas-López SV, Villacís-Tamayo RA, Zurita-Gavilanes LA. A randomized controlled trial on the efficacy and safety of a food ingredient, collagen hydrolysate, for improving joint comfort. Int J Food Sci Nutr. 2009;60 Suppl 2:99-113.
3. Clark KL, Sebastianelli W, Flechsenhar KR, Aukermann DF, Meza F, Millard RL, Deitch JR, Sherbondy PS, Albert A. 24-Week study on the use of collagen hydrolysate as a dietary supplement in athletes with activity-related joint pain. Curr Med Res Opin. 2008 May;24(5):1485-96.
4. Brodziak-Dopierała B, Kwapuliński J, Sobczyk K, Wiechuła D. The content of manganese and iron in hip joint tissue. J Trace Elem Med Biol. 2013 Feb 14.
5. Shimaya M, Muneta T, Ichinose S, Tsuji K, Sekiya I. Magnesium enhances adherence and cartilage formation of synovial mesenchymal stem cells through integrins. Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2010 Oct;18(10):1300-9.
6. Héraud F, Savineau C, Harmand MF. Copper modulation of extracellular matrix synthesis by human articular chondrocytes. Scand J Rheumatol. 2002;31(5):279-84.
7. Sharma G, Saxena RK, Mishra P. Regeneration of static-load-degenerated articular cartilage extracellular matrix by vitamin C supplementation. Cell Tissue Res. 2008 Oct;334(1):111-20.
ENDURANCE SPORT™ - THE SECRET OF CHAMPIONS!
Ingredients: collagen, malic acid, citric acid - acidity regulators, maltodextrin - bulking agent; aromas, microencapsuled L-ascorbic acid – vit. C,; sodium cyclamate, sucralose, – sweeteners; manganese bisglycinate (Albion® manganese amino acid chelate), copper bisglycinate (Albion® copper amino acid chelate); colours: beta-carotene (for orange flavour), riboflavin (for lemon flavour), carmine (for grapefruit and cherry flavours).
|Nutrition Information||1 Portion
||5 g||10 g|
|Vitamin C (Pure Way-C®)||40 mg (50%*)||80 mg (100%*)|
|Albion® amino acid chelate
Manganese of which manganese
0,3 mg (15%*)
0,6 mg (30%*)
|Albion® amino acid chelate
of which copper
150 μg (15%*)
300 μg (30%*)
* %RDA recommended daily allowance
Keep out of reach of children.
Do not exceed the recommended daily dose.
Food supplements should not be used as substitute for a varied and balanced diet.
A varied and balanced diet and a healthy lifestyle are recommended.